Ph.D. Communications, The University of Pennsylvania, 1978.
M.A. Communications, The Annenberg School of Communications, The University of Pennsylvania, 1976.
B.A. Philosophy, The University of Wisconsin, 1972.
Honors: Phi Eta Sigma, B.A. With Distinction.
- Dan Schiller, Telephone: 619-534-2365
- Communication Department 619-534-4410
- University of California, San Diego
- La Jolla, CA 92093-0503
- 1999 – Professor IV, Communications Department, UCSD.
- 1996-99 Professor III, Communication Department, UCSD.
- 1993-96 Associate Professor V, Communication Department, UCSD.
- 1990-93 Associate Professor IV, Communication Department, UCSD.
- 1989-90 Professor I, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of California, Los Angeles.
- 1987-89 Associate Professor III, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, UCLA
- 1986-87 Fellow, Gannett Center for Media Studies, Columbia University.
- 1984-86 Assistant to the Dean for Graduate Programs, School of Communications and Theater, Temple University.
- 1984 Visiting Associate Professor, The Annenberg School of Communications, University of Southern Callifornia.
- 1983-86 Associate Professor, Department of Radio-TV-Film, Temple University.
- 1979-83 Assistant Professor, Department of Radio-TV-Film, Temple University.
- 1978-79 Research Scholar, Centre for Mass Communication Research, University of Leicester.
- 1998 - Associate Editor, Critical Studies in Mass Communication.
- 1997 - International Editorial Board, Cuadernos de Informacion y Cmunicacion (Madrid).
- 1989 -92 Editorial Board Member, Critical Studies in Mass Communication
- 1986 Editorial Board, Mass Communication Review Yearbook Volume 6.
- 1986 - Consulting Editor, Media Culture & Society.
- 1985 - 95 Surrogate Delegate [Editorial Advisor] for Communications, Oxford University Press.
- 1985 -88 Editorial Board, Ablex Publishing Company Series on Communications and Information Science.
- 1984 -92 Corresponding Editor, Telos, Revista de Tecnologia, Comunicacion y Sociedad [Madrid].
- 1983-88 Section Editor, New Technology and Press History, International Encyclopedia of Communications [responsible for 28 articles].
- 1982-91 Consulting and Contributing Editor, Journal of Communication.
- 1980-83 Review Editor for History, Sociology and Politics, Studies in Visual Communication.
Articles, Reports, Review Essays (selected)
- Continental Order? Integrating North America for Cyber-Capitalism (Co-editor with Vincent Mosco). Boulder: Rowman & Littlefield, in press.
- Digital Capitalism: Networking the Global Market System. Cambridge: MIT, 1999.
- Theorizing Communication: A History. Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Telematics and Government. Norwood: Ablex, 1982.
- Objectivity and the News. The Public and the Rise of Commercial Journalism. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1981.
- "Deep Impact: The Web and the Evolving Media Economy," Info, 1 (1) February 1999.
- "The Legacy of Robert A. Brady: Antifascist Origins of the Political Economy of Communications," Journal of Media Economics. Vol. 12 (2), 1999: 89-101.
- "Social Movement in U.S. Telecommunications: Rethinking the Rise of the Public Service Princeiple, 1894-1919," Telecommunications Policy 22 (4), 1998. Also published in Andrew Calabrese and Jean-Claude Burgelman, Eds., Communication, Citizenship, And Social Policy: Rethinking the Limits of the Welfare State. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 1999: 137-155.
- "Bad Deal of the Century: The Worrisome Implications of the WorldCom-MCI Merger." Washintong, D.C. Economic Policy Institute, 1998. ISBN: 0-944826-76-8.
- "Internet, terrain de je pour les publicitaires," Le Monde Diplomatique, November 1997.
- "O What a Tangled Web We Weave," Index on Censorship 25th Anniversary Commemorative Issue 1997 (3). Also published as "Les Marchands a l’assaut d’Internet," Le Monde Diplomatiqjue, March 1997; and "Net Makeover," netWorker Mixed Media March/April 1997: 39-44.
- "Les Marchands du Cyberspace," Le Monde Diplomatique, May 1996.
- "From Culture to Information and Back Again: Commoditization as a Route to Knowledge," Critical Studies in Mass Communication 11[ 1], March 1994: 92-115.
- "Back to the Future: Prospects for Study of Communication as a Social Force," Journal of Communication 43 , Autumn 1993: 117-124.
- "Capitalism, Information, and Uneven Development," in Stanley A. Deetz, Communication Yearbook 16. Published for the International Communication Association. Newbury Park: Sage, 1993: 396-406.
- "International Communications and the Struggle for Competitive Advantage in East Asia" [with Enrique Bonus, Meighan Maguire and Lora Taub], in Hyeon-Dew Kang, Ed., International Communications in North-East Asia. Seoul: NANAM Publishing, 1992: 43-74.
- "A Private View of the Digital World" [with RosaLinda Fregoso], Telecommunications Policy June 1991: 195-208.
- "Las telecomunicaciones en el mercado unico europeo: La vision desde los Estados Unidos," Telos 23 : 79-87. Also published as "Telecommunications and the European Single Market: A View From The United States," in J. Wasko, V. Mosco and M. Pendakur, Eds., Illuminating the Blindspots: Essays Honoring Dallas W. Smythe. Norwood: Ablex, 1993: 196-207.
- "Informational Bypass: Research Library Access to U.S. Telecommunications Periodicals," Journal of Communication 39 , Summer 1989: 104-109.
- "Computer: Impact - 1. Overview," International Encyclopedia of Communications. New York: Oxford University Press, 1989: Volume One, 380-383.
- "Newspaper Trends In North America," International Encyclopedia of Communications. New York: Oxford University Press, 1989: Volume Three, 197-199.
- "How To Think About Information," in Vincent Mosco and Janet Wasko, Eds., The Political Economy of Information. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1988: 27-43.
- "Norteamerica: grandeza y miseria de las ciencia de la comunicacion" [with Charlene Gottman], Telos 7 : 108-116.
- "The U.S. Communications Industry In Transition," A Report to the U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment, Communication and Information Technologies Program, 12 December 1986.
- "La Privatization del servicio telefonico: Una vision historica en los EE.UU," Telos 5 : 60-64.
- "Digitization in International Telecommunications," Social Science and Policy Research 8 , 1986: 287-304.
- "Transformations of News in the U.S. Information Market," in P. Golding, G. Murdock and P. Schlesinger, Eds., Communicating Politics: Mass Communications and the Political Process. Leicester: Leicester University Press, 1986: 19-36.
- "The Emerging Global Grid: Planning for What?" Media Culture & Society 7 [Winter] 1985: 105-125.
- "Intelsat: ultimo objetivo del unilateralismo U.S.A.," Telos 2 : 106-113.
- "Comment Perpetuer la domination sur les telecommunications?"Le Monde Diplomatique February 1985: 14-15 [translated as "Wettbewerb: Eine neue US-Strategie zur Gewinnung der Kontrolle uber die Weltraumkommunikation" Media Perspektiven 1984 : 470-475].
- "Business Users and the Telecommunications Network," Journal of Communication 32 , 1982: 84-96.
- "From Rogues to the Rights of Men," Media Culture & Society 1980 : 377-388.
- "An Historical Approach to Objectivity and Professionalism in American News Reporting," Journal of Communication 29 , 1979: 46-57.
- "Realism, Photography and Journalistic Objectivity in 19th-Century America," Studies in the Anthropology of Visual Communication 1977 : 86-98.